Happy 2017, internet friends!
I can’t believe it’s the 12th already. Guess what? I’ve spent the last 4 days REALLY sick with a bronchial infection. The year started off on a good note: ringing in the new year wasn’t terrible; I was commissioned to make a rosca de reyes for good family friends and we had dinner at their house to celebrate día de los reyes magos; we had a reunion dinner the next evening with another set of dear family friends. The next day, I woke up and it hit me hard. It wasn’t the flip of a switch or anything. I’d been feeling a whisper of a twinge a few days prior; it was just a matter of when. I had to skip out on a friend’s birthday lunch and it all went downhill from there.
I don’t think I need to go into detail about how sick I am suffice to say that I have a disposable cup nearby for hacking coughs that produce green phlegm and shoot pain into my swollen throat and ear canals. I HAVEN’T BEEN ABLE TO DO ANYTHING. I can’t sleep because I am too congested to breathe. I can’t watch TV because I can’t watch unless I’m cooking or doing something else productive otherwise I just feel that I’ve surrendered to losing brain cells. I can’t read for long periods of time because of the coughing. WHY AM I EXISTING RIGHT NOW?
To top it all off, it’s been raining like it’s Seattle here in sunny LA. I’m hoping for a break soon with the weather, the coughing, and my dark thoughts. Every day, swallowing is less painful so that’s good.
I hope to be more productive with my blog and life in 2017 after this mini setback passes. Take care, everyone! Talk soon.
P.S. Above is a picture of my “desk” last summer. I have a real desk now that I got from Goodwill for $15!
Life got busy (and how!! I’ll get into that as some point) and now we’re nearing the end of year. So, procrastination be damned, I present you with this “bonus” guide. It was a semi-impromptu day trip to Montserrat. While we did prior research, it was still confusing navigating the train schedule. I’ll do my best to help you out. Here are some helpful links: 1 // 2
HOW DID YOU GET HERE? I think it depends on what time of day you head out, but I suggest heading out early from Barcelona. We left kind of late at 11am; it was pouring that morning. Guides say that it takes about 1.5 hrs to get there by train, but I think it took us a slightly over 2 hours.
Tickets were roughly €11 for a single ride. Follow the R5 line at the Espanya station.
Here is a little video I made explaining the train schedule.
IS THIS OFF-BARCELONA EXCURSION WORTH A DAY TRIP? Yes! The monastery and the surrounding area are beautiful and a refreshing change from the hustle and bustle of Barcelona.
WHAT DID YOU EAT? The monastery has a restaurant, but we didn’t eat there. When we arrived, there was a farmer’s market where the “mountain folk” set up shop and were selling their homemade cheeses, pastries, and candies. WARNING: TMI! I tried some local mountain cheese and it was delicious! However, in less than 10 minutes, my stomach cried foul of foreign microbes and I KNEW I WAS GOING TO HAVE EXPLOSIVE SHITS. Thankfully, there is a large public restroom in the the plaza of the monastery and I took care of business. Just sayin’.
Anyway, picture time…
(P.S. The amazing panorama shots were taken by the husbeau.)
FINAL NOTES ON THE HONEYMOON SERIES: I miss Spain often and I hope to be back someday. I can’t thank Yobo enough for being my travel companion and for spoiling me with amazing eats, sights, and sounds. It was really an amazing trip! Traveling on a budget and in a slightly offbeat way affords a mindset that is illuminating: the world is vast and beautiful. We are all different. We are all the same. Be sure to go back in time with me and check out the other trip links. I hope you’ve enjoyed all the anecdotes and pictures. I really appreciate all the comments and likes, so thank you all very much too!
Can I share snippets of life these past two months?
My husband is creative too (and very technical). He made a modified pedal doohickey thing for his pedal board with 80’s style lights (and wife-inspired since I’m a huge 80’s fan). We nicknamed it Simone. (Because of Simon! Get it? The game with the lights and the pushing of the lights.)
I bought a fluffy white reading pillow with arm rests and I’m a voracious reader again! Not really, but actually, I am…It just makes the space look cozier and reader friendly.
The (near) end of the summer brought fig on toast with prosciutto and honey. I had to swat away those glossy hard fig beetles for this. They scare the crap out of me! No one talks about that, do they? I also found a tiny watermelon in the back of the ref so I made watermelon agua fresca with mint. Husband is the hand model.
I’ve been trying to eat healthier: less carbs at night and more veggies every day. It’s hard, people! (Reeeeaaallly hard.)
For my mother’s birthday this year, I made a one tier raspberry marble cake with raspberry marscapone icing. This is me putting it in front of a table vignette and trying to look effortless like I bake professionally and it always looks this good.
It’s been a while since my honeymoon city guides, and I can only say that it’s because I’m a Master Procrastinator. I meant to get all of these done so I could ping these links on the comments sections of bloggers that were asking for Spain tips a few months ago. Bah! Too much time has passed. Without further ado, here is my guide to Madrid!
As a palate cleanser from my previous post, here an entry I meant to publish a few days ago. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Holy moly, friends! I haven’t been back in a while (almost a month, eep! I honestly have respect for the pro bloggers that push content 5Xs a week. I can’t even…), so of course my return merits a nice list of links! Have a looksee at what’s on my digital reading list:
- Design-y/Hipster-y Guide to my neck of the woods in L.A. TheEveryGirl
- Lena Dunham speaks frankly about her Apology Addiction. I have this and I’m trying really hard to replace “I’m Sorry” with other more meaningful and clarifying statements that don’t make feel like I’m less of a person. TAKEAWAY QUOTE: I’m afraid anything but sorry will cause me to explode and drip my hideous rage juice all over someone I’m simultaneously pissed at and trying to please.
- I like the way the author of this link states that she’s in great shape but still huffs and puffs after taking the stairs. We fat people thought it was just us…
- A friend of mine used to work at an Amazon warehouse. Look at it!
- As an honorary Mexican, this story of Salma Hayek’s family and non-Mexican husband cracks me up.
- Have a posted a similar link? This is how to fold a fitted sheet. I’ve watched this video 10 times and I still think I need to watch it when I actually fold the damn sheet.
- I went through a podcast frenzy once upon a time and now it’s starting to wind down. I think it’s because I’m not as interested in Serial Season 2. Anyway, I’m back in the game sort of. I’m really addicted to The History Chicks. I just wish they had better sound quality.
- Last year, if I wasn’t having an indoor/outdoor wedding, I would have looked at this as a wedding dress option. (Or an intimate city hall wedding.)
- Summer reading lists! I wish I had more time! Goop // Apartment Therapy
- Saw Natalia LaFourcade at the Santa Monica Pier recently. That’s her above. She is amazing.
This is a really personal post but I’m going to write it anyway because I’m angry right now and I’d like to imagine that the internet cares even if no one responds to the entry.